Wednesday, January 22, 2014

WEEK ONEEE

I have to say, I think my first impression was dismal when I saw who was producing these comics, DC. Recently the company has rarely done anything I'm pleased with so the natural intrust has been building for some time unless its recommended and typically not part of the reboot.

It was a breather when I realize all of the stories were created during the 80s. That was a decent time for DC publishing, right before they got a little crazy in the 90s.

None of the titles were familiar to me on the other hand. I had never read any of them before in novel form. I can at least assume that in these 50 page comics that some things would be left out from the novel it originated.

Hell of Earth was first, written by the man who also wrote Psycho, Robert Block. It was interesting, primarily splitting the space available on the page into blocks which was the style for the entire block. the art wasn't incredible realistic staying rather simple and exaggerated. The colors were mostly muted the entire time to fit the dark mood the entire story had.

Next was Nightwings by Robert Silversburg. It seemed very much like a fantasy just by the first page. It's style greatly reminds me of the Prince Valent comics that had come out for decades. It not only had a similar style but the feel from the colors also felt similar. Very bright never going particularly dark. It was a fantasy mixed with some science fiction.

The last I looked at was Frost and Fire. I want to say it was almost the strangest of the 3 but I think Hell on Earth still wins that. It feels, similarly to Nightwings, like a fantasy mixed with scifi. Panels were often put on top of another to add more to each page. The text seemed a bit better than Nightwings on the other hand where that felt more telling instead of showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment